Pushing Your Buttons
PUSHING SOMEONE’S BUTTONS means to do or say something that will cause a strong emotional reaction that is usually negative.
Here is how you will know when someone is pushing your buttons:
You will react before you think.
When you get angry, YOUR BLOOD BOILS. When you are upset, YOUR BRAIN SHUTS DOWN. When you’re irritated, YOUR ATTITUDE BECOMES NEGATIVE.
When these things happen to you – That is the devil trying to make you MAD ON PURPOSE so he can control you! Anger can drive you to do something stupid that you will latter regret.
The bible tells Christians in Ephesians 4:17-32* how to stop letting the devil push your buttons:
- “As a follower of the Lord, I order you to stop living like stupid, godless people.” v17
- “But this isn’t what you were taught about Jesus Christ. He is the truth, and you heard about him and learned about him.” v20
- Let the Spirit change your way of thinking and make you into a new person. You were created to be like God, and so you must please him and be truly holy.” v23-24
- “We are part of the same body. Stop lying and start telling each other the truth. Don’t get so angry that you sin. Don’t go to bed angry and don’t give the devil a chance.” v25-27
Stop all your dirty talk. Say the right thing at the right time and help others by what you say. Don’t make God’s Spirit sad. The Spirit makes you sure that someday you will be free from your sins. v29-30
- “Stop being bitter and angry and mad at others. Don’t yell at one another or curse each other or ever be rude. Instead, be kind and merciful, and forgive others, just as God forgave you because of Christ.” v31-32
The next time the devil tries to push your buttons, these 6 things will help you stay on track NO MATTER WHAT!
*Bible translations from the Contemporary English Version. (CEV)